Much of this opportunity lies in new tactics, specifically mobile and digital video, which have been revolutionized since the last time middle-tier borrowers were buying at 2014 levels.
At the start of the purchase path, mobile, tablet and video ads each laid claim to prompting 34% of buyers to start researching vehicles, according to a May 2013 survey from Google, Millward Brown Digital and Polk.
From there, video continues to prove itself as an influential part of automotive marketing. Among other measures, auto led all global industries in terms of video completions of mobile banner ads in 2013, according to DG MediaMind (recently rebranded to Sizmek).
Most projects fail to use available or requested marketing analytics, report American CMOs responding to the latest CMO Survey conducted by the Duke Fuqua School of Business. The study’s results indicate that on average, only 32.5% of projects use analytics – and that’s actually a slight improvement from the past couple of biannual studies, where […]
Why is America’s largest cable TV company buying its biggest rival for $44 billion? Well, not to oversimplify things, but that’s easy to explain: The pay TV industry is in flux… …as Americans drop their cable TV subscriptions… …but pay the same companies for internet service, and since Comcast an…
Why is America’s largest cable TV company buying its biggest rival for $44 billion? Well, not to oversimplify things, but that’s easy to explain:
The pay TV industry is in flux…
…as Americans drop their cable TV subscriptions…
…but pay the same companies for internet service,
and since Comcast and TWC control different regions,
why not add to the industry’s history of consolidation?
According to Unruly, here are the top five most shared ads of Super Bowl 2014:
- Budweiser: “Puppy Love” with 1,309,403 shares.
- Budweiser: “A Heroes’ Welcome” with 202,556 shares.
- Axe: “Make Love, Not War” with 136,282 shares.
- Jaguar: “British Villains” with 125,896 shares.
- Bud Light: “Ian Up For Whatever” with 123,418 shares.
Adobe also released some Big Game statistics about the advertisements that created the most social media buzz:
- The top five advertisers in terms of social media presence were: Coke (169,013 mentions), Ford (164,300 mentions), Chevy (150,061 mentions), Anheuser-Busch (135,045 mentions) and Doritos (122,045 mentions).
- RadioShack had 22x increase in social mentions, the largest increase for any advertiser this past weekend. Anheuser-Busch comes in second (19x increase), and CarMax comes in third (18x).
- The phrase “Super Bowl” garnered 4.9 million mentions, more than 20x than normal.
In terms of how head-to-head competitors stacked up against each other, Adobe also said:
- Coke beat out Pepsi with more than 68,000 social media mentions.
- Anheuser-Busch beat out Coors with almost 10,000 more social media mentions.
- Audi beat out Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes.
- Chobani beat out Oikos and Yoplait.
- And Axe beat out Old Spice barely with more than 5,000 social media mentions.
And digital marketers will definitely want to let their colleagues know that YouTube videos – even ones that also happen to be Super Bowl commercials – can be promoted at no cost with YouTube Fan Finder. They can also be promoted with AdWords for Video, which currently has an average CPM of $7.60, according to TubeMogul. By comparison, the CPM for a similar pre-roll ad on the Fox digital platforms is $60.00.
Sharp is teasing a 3D-ready, 85-inch 8K display at CES
Samsung’s 98-inch 8K TV
Despite announcing plans to flood the market with a number of new HD and Ultra HD TVs, Samsung still found room in its CES booth for the first 8K TV we’ve seen from the manufacturer. Labeled as QUHD or Quad Ultra HD, it’s also only the second flatscreen with 7,680 x 4,320 pixels that we’ve seen, period. Still, our eyes may be getting jaded as a result of all the super high-res displays we’ve seen lately because this one didn’t have the shock value Sharp’s 8K Super Hi-Vision screen garnered with its debut a couple of years ago.
Recorded Music Sales have been in decline for 10+ years. Digital music sales had been increasing, but not enough to make up for the overall loss. Now a data point from 2013 shows that digital downloads may have also plateaued, given the rise of streaming music where users subscribe to get access and therefore no longer need to buy-to-own individual digital tracks or albums.
Digital Music Sales Decrease For First Time in 2013
Branding type advertisers like CPG and Entertainment will continue to seek “reach and frequency” because their marketing objectives are primarily awareness and top-of-mind. Other types of advertisers like consumer electronics, travel, computers and retail are seeking better performance or greater efficiency in their ad spending — so they tend to use more performance-like tactics such as organic and paid search.
That said, as more ad dollars shift from traditional channels like TV, print, radio, and newspapers, they will shift into branding-like digital tactics such as digital video ads and Facebook display — because of its enormous reach.
As you see from the chart below, I predict that this means that digital branding will continue to grow. “Other” digital tactics which are neither performance nor large enough to generate at-scale reach will start to fall between the cracks.
Dr. Augustine Fou is Digital Consigliere to marketing executives, advising them on digital strategy and Unified Marketing(tm). Dr Fou has over 17 years of in-the-trenches, hands-on experience, which enables him to provide objective, in-depth assessments of their current marketing programs and recommendations for improving business impact and ROI using digital insights.
Collaborators – Digital Profs
- Coke vs Pepsi vs Dr Pepper
- Netflix vs Blockbuster - Perfect example of an industry replaced by a more efficient version of itself
- Marketing Costs Normalized to CPM Basis for Comparison
- The JKWeddingDance video was real; the viral effect was MANUFACTURED - Post 1 of 2
- drag2share: How Taco Bell's Lead Innovator Created The Most Successful Menu Item Of All Time
- Mobile OS Version Fragmentation Android vs iOS
- Netflix Pricing Plan Changes 2011
- Samsung 52 inch HDTV $9.99 at BestBuy - purchase receipt below (6:21a eastern time August 12, 2009)
- drag2share: This Project Is Going Absolutely Bonkers On Kickstarter, Raising $101,000 In 29 Hours
- Brand Advertisers: Escaping an Ecosystem of Digital Advertising Fraud
- #SESNY: Toward a Performance Mindset for All Advertising
- Tips for Marketers Selecting a Digital Agency
- Context Is Not King or Queen; It's Just Necessary
- 2013 New Year's Digital Marketing Resolutions
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Online Campaign Ratings and eGRPs
- Why You Should Banish the Net Promoter Score Immediately
- Digital Strategy To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to
- The Agency-Client Relationship is Forever Changed
- Targeting vs. Privacy - Who Will Win?
- March 2014 (83)
- February 2014 (167)
- January 2014 (222)
- December 2013 (167)
- November 2013 (111)
- October 2013 (116)
- September 2013 (214)
- August 2013 (210)
- July 2013 (200)
- June 2013 (87)
- May 2013 (87)
- April 2013 (70)
- March 2013 (114)
- February 2013 (89)
- January 2013 (136)
- December 2012 (96)
- November 2012 (130)
- October 2012 (147)
- September 2012 (94)
- August 2012 (93)
- July 2012 (112)
- June 2012 (71)
- May 2012 (82)
- April 2012 (80)
- March 2012 (122)
- February 2012 (114)
- January 2012 (129)
- December 2011 (60)
- November 2011 (54)
- October 2011 (29)
- September 2011 (17)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (18)
- June 2011 (19)
- May 2011 (23)
- April 2011 (23)
- March 2011 (52)
- February 2011 (69)
- January 2011 (108)
- December 2010 (82)
- November 2010 (67)
- October 2010 (68)
- September 2010 (44)
- August 2010 (101)
- July 2010 (61)
- June 2010 (28)
- May 2010 (28)
- April 2010 (26)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (21)
- January 2010 (12)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (19)
- July 2009 (34)
- June 2009 (11)
- May 2009 (4)
- April 2009 (6)
- March 2009 (13)
- February 2009 (32)
- January 2009 (25)
- December 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)