Coach just won a lawsuit against internet counterfeiters, which could set a precedent for the rest of the industry.
The company won $257 million in damages from the companies, the largest settlement of its kind, Alexandra Steigrad at Women’s Wear Daily reported. Under the judgement, Coach can also seize 573 domain names linked to counterfeit brands, stopping the copycats in their tracks.
Tory Burch, Hermes and Burberry have also won similar settlements recently.
Coach is one of the most-copied brands out there, and hundreds of websites were selling fake purses, glasses, accessories and more, according to WWD.
Many of the sites even used photos taken from Coach’s actual website, confusing consumers into thinking they were the real deal.
Going after domain names is the only way for companies to take back the power, according to WWD:
Although he called the award a “warning,” (Coach and its) colleagues in the legal world have acknowledged that at least part of the judgment is purely symbolic. That’s because no brand is able to collect the millions in monetary damages, as it’s nearly impossible to physically locate the culprits running the illegal Web sites. Having the ability to shut down infringing sites is where companies begin to wield some power.
Still, the Coach settlement shows that retailers have legal power over counterfeiters.
Sure, The Artist did well at the Academy Awards. But what does that really mean, statistically?
As usual, our friends at AddThis, a company that provides social media sharing tools for web publishers, tracked their network of 11 million sites and 1.2 billion unique users per month to find out which Oscar events really drove chatter among consumers.
This was the background chatter in the weeks prior to the Oscars. Note that ‘Hugo’ dominates.
Demian Bichir peaked when he was nominated for a SAG award for ‘Better Life.’ But interest faded. More people were interested in George Clooney than Jean Dujardin of ‘The Artist’ in the week before the Oscars.
Prior to the show, the people’s choice for Best Actress was Viola Davis, not Meryl Streep.
- Will Advertisers Pay $62 Million To Sponsor YouTube Channels? Here’s Today’s Ad Brief
- Here’s Who Facebook Thinks Are Its 11 Best Advertisers
- 10 Horrible Ads Starring Academy Award Winners
Dr. Augustine Fou is Digital Consigliere to marketing executives, advising them on digital strategy and Unified Marketing(tm). Dr Fou has over 17 years of in-the-trenches, hands-on experience, which enables him to provide objective, in-depth assessments of their current marketing programs and recommendations for improving business impact and ROI using digital insights.
- Netflix vs Blockbuster - Perfect example of an industry replaced by a more efficient version of itself
- Coke vs Pepsi vs Dr Pepper
- Marketing Costs Normalized to CPM Basis for Comparison
- 3G calling, no registration, and totally free
- AOL's Plan To Steal TV Ad Dollars Is Totally Working
- The Top Endorsement Earners In Each Sport
- Groupon launches Breadcrumb iPad app, vows to not be a typical POS
- Flash Sale Sites Have A Social Media Problem
- HP Mini 311 Nvidia ION Netbook Hackintosh'ed
- #SESNY: Toward a Performance Mindset for All Advertising
- Tips for Marketers Selecting a Digital Agency
- Context Is Not King or Queen; It's Just Necessary
- 2013 New Year's Digital Marketing Resolutions
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Online Campaign Ratings and eGRPs
- Why You Should Banish the Net Promoter Score Immediately
- Digital Strategy To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to
- The Agency-Client Relationship is Forever Changed
- Targeting vs. Privacy - Who Will Win?
- Digital + Traditional = Unified Marketing
- May 2013 (52)
- April 2013 (70)
- March 2013 (114)
- February 2013 (89)
- January 2013 (136)
- December 2012 (96)
- November 2012 (130)
- October 2012 (147)
- September 2012 (94)
- August 2012 (92)
- July 2012 (112)
- June 2012 (71)
- May 2012 (82)
- April 2012 (80)
- March 2012 (122)
- February 2012 (114)
- January 2012 (129)
- December 2011 (60)
- November 2011 (54)
- October 2011 (29)
- September 2011 (17)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (18)
- June 2011 (19)
- May 2011 (23)
- April 2011 (23)
- March 2011 (52)
- February 2011 (69)
- January 2011 (108)
- December 2010 (82)
- November 2010 (67)
- October 2010 (68)
- September 2010 (44)
- August 2010 (101)
- July 2010 (61)
- June 2010 (28)
- May 2010 (28)
- April 2010 (26)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (21)
- January 2010 (12)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (19)
- July 2009 (34)
- June 2009 (11)
- May 2009 (4)
- April 2009 (6)
- March 2009 (13)
- February 2009 (32)
- January 2009 (25)
- December 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)