A corporation formed by Johnny Manziel has filed a lawsuit in Texas over the use of his trademarked nickname, “Johnny Football,” by a person selling t-shirts according to The Southeast Texas Record. But, in a move that could lead the way for more lawsuits, Darren Rovell of ESPN is reporting the NCAA has ruled that Manziel can keep any money he wins in the lawsuit.
While any athlete, amateur or professional, should be able to protect their own name, the ruling by the NCAA also opens the door for situations where a booster could intentionally infringe on a player’s trademark as way of being able to give money to the player.
Of course, the greatest irony here is how much money the NCAA and Texas A&M have made using Manziel’s name and likeness. Unfortunately he’ll never see a dime of that revenue.
The Kindle Fire is has started to ship and w’re hearing about the thousands of apps which will work on the customized Android tablet, including Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, Angry Birds, Zynga, Hulu Plus and ESPN ScoreCenter. Today, real estate search platforms Trulia and Zillow are both launching dedicated apps for the Kindle Fire.
Trulia’s new tablet app will leverage Kindle Fire’s extra-wide viewing angle, and will focus on list-view, photo search and full-screen slideshows. Unlike the site’s other mobile apps, this will not be a map-based app.
With the app you can personalize your apartment or home search by setting filters and search parameters, use photo gallery search to view property slideshows on the tablet’s entire screen, save searches to your account, and contact the listing agent to get more details or schedule a showing.
Similarly, Zillow’s app, which is map-based, allows you to search a database of nearly 100 million homes, view homes for sale, homes for rent and recently sold homes, filter by home type, listing type, home size, beds, baths, and price, view full-screen photos, and save favorite homes and searches.
Through the first 124 games of the regular season (~10%), average attendance in the NHL is down more than 400 fans per game, averaging just 16,684. Capacity is also down with arenas filling just 91.0 percent of available seats. And this number is heavily influenced by the opening night attendance figures which are typically a big draw.
On the other hand, the New York Rangers are yet to play a home game, and their attendance will pull the league average up slightly.
But with the NBA in disarray, these numbers must be a disappointment for the NHL no matter how they are spun…
Data via ESPN.com
- Allen Iverson Wants Another Shot At The NBA
- SPORTS CHART OF THE DAY: NFL Teams Are Passing AND Scoring More Than Ever
- This Is How A Video Game Company Convinced The NBA To Approve The Wildly Popular ‘NBA Jam’ In 1992
Dr. Augustine Fou is Digital Consigliere to marketing executives, advising them on digital strategy and Unified Marketing(tm). Dr Fou has over 17 years of in-the-trenches, hands-on experience, which enables him to provide objective, in-depth assessments of their current marketing programs and recommendations for improving business impact and ROI using digital insights.
- Netflix vs Blockbuster - Perfect example of an industry replaced by a more efficient version of itself
- Coke vs Pepsi vs Dr Pepper
- Marketing Costs Normalized to CPM Basis for Comparison
- 3G calling, no registration, and totally free
- AOL's Plan To Steal TV Ad Dollars Is Totally Working
- The Top Endorsement Earners In Each Sport
- Groupon launches Breadcrumb iPad app, vows to not be a typical POS
- Flash Sale Sites Have A Social Media Problem
- HP Mini 311 Nvidia ION Netbook Hackintosh'ed
- #SESNY: Toward a Performance Mindset for All Advertising
- Tips for Marketers Selecting a Digital Agency
- Context Is Not King or Queen; It's Just Necessary
- 2013 New Year's Digital Marketing Resolutions
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Online Campaign Ratings and eGRPs
- Why You Should Banish the Net Promoter Score Immediately
- Digital Strategy To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to
- The Agency-Client Relationship is Forever Changed
- Targeting vs. Privacy - Who Will Win?
- Digital + Traditional = Unified Marketing
- May 2013 (56)
- April 2013 (70)
- March 2013 (114)
- February 2013 (89)
- January 2013 (136)
- December 2012 (96)
- November 2012 (130)
- October 2012 (147)
- September 2012 (94)
- August 2012 (92)
- July 2012 (112)
- June 2012 (71)
- May 2012 (82)
- April 2012 (80)
- March 2012 (122)
- February 2012 (114)
- January 2012 (129)
- December 2011 (60)
- November 2011 (54)
- October 2011 (29)
- September 2011 (17)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (18)
- June 2011 (19)
- May 2011 (23)
- April 2011 (23)
- March 2011 (52)
- February 2011 (69)
- January 2011 (108)
- December 2010 (82)
- November 2010 (67)
- October 2010 (68)
- September 2010 (44)
- August 2010 (101)
- July 2010 (61)
- June 2010 (28)
- May 2010 (28)
- April 2010 (26)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (21)
- January 2010 (12)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (19)
- July 2009 (34)
- June 2009 (11)
- May 2009 (4)
- April 2009 (6)
- March 2009 (13)
- February 2009 (32)
- January 2009 (25)
- December 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)