A new eMarketer forecast breaks out US mobile ad revenues by company, and projects that Google will take in more than half of all dollars this year. Facebook and Twitter have also increased their share of the market since beginning to offer mobile ads last year.
The problem for flash sale sites on Facebook is that the companies need the referral traffic that Facebook generates, but customer complaints can be very public.
Shipping is the biggest issue.
Fab.com has the lowest rate of complaints about shipping. Zulilly, HauteLook and Beyond the Rack have the highest rate of complaints.
Jun 7, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Facebook Inc is eliminating various types of advertisements on its website in an effort to simplify a system that it acknowledged was confusing marketers.
The world’s No. 1 social network, which is seeking to revive revenue growth, will still display ads inside users’ newsfeeds and on the right-hand side of its web pages. But it will sharply reduce the options marketers can choose for those so-called ad units.
“What we realized is that even though every ad product is really good on its own, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. It should really be simpler,” Fidji Simo, a Facebook product manager for ads, said at an event at the company’s Menlo Park, California headquarters on Thursday.
Not surprisingly, Facebook remains the overwhelming leader in photo sharing, with 350 million photos uploaded daily, or 64% of the daily total. But Facebook has 655 million daily active users or DAUs. Given that massive user base, it’s not surprising Facbook retains an edge, even though it isn’t exclusively a photo-oriented service.
The lights are looking dim on Broadway, which suffered its worst attendance record in eight years during the 2012-2013 season, according to Bloomberg’s Philip Boroff.
The total box office take was similar to last year’s, but ticket prices were up $6 from last year, to an average of $98 a ticket.
There are a few factors to blame for the dip in attendance:
- Hurricane Sandy: The Superstorm shuttered theaters for four days, costing shows more than $8.5 million in lost revenue, according to the AP.
- The increase in ticket prices: “There is no goodwill left among theatergoers,” Michael Taustine, treasurer of the Lyceum Theatre, told Bloomberg. “They are resentful and angry at the arrogance of Broadway pricing policies.”
- Dark theaters: 13 of Broadway’s 40 theaters are currently dark, an “unusually large” number for the weeks before the Tony awards, according to Bloomberg.
Even stars like Tom Hanks and Bette Midler, who drew big crowds, couldn’t save the season, noted Boroff.
Shows including “Orphans,” ”The Testament of Mary,” ”Hands on a Hardbody,” ”Jekyll & Hyde” and “The Performers” opened and closed quickly, making it hard for sales to recover, noted the AP.
Here’s Tesla’s stock chart for the last year. It’s a pretty mind-blowing jump in price. We’re not exactly sure what’s driving this pop, but it’s had some pretty good news lately, which we’ve added to the chart.
Pew found U.S. teens have waning for enthusiasm for Facebook, which they view as inundated with adults, drama, and reputation management. We wrote about this phenomenon in a recent report. Buzzfeed had a good round up up of the respondent’s quotes. Elsewhere, Pew reported that 47% of U.S. teens own smartphones and one-third access the Internet primarily through a cell phone
Dr. Augustine Fou is Digital Consigliere to marketing executives, advising them on digital strategy and Unified Marketing(tm). Dr Fou has over 17 years of in-the-trenches, hands-on experience, which enables him to provide objective, in-depth assessments of their current marketing programs and recommendations for improving business impact and ROI using digital insights.
- drag2share: The Most Famous Brand Each State Has Produced
- Marketing Costs Normalized to CPM Basis for Comparison
- Coke vs Pepsi vs Dr Pepper
- Netflix vs Blockbuster - Perfect example of an industry replaced by a more efficient version of itself
- Vapor4 May Be the First Bumper Worthy of the iPhone 4
- drag2share: The Most Pinned Brand On Pinterest Doesn't Even Use A Pinterest Account [THE BRIEF]
- Retailers Still Striving For A Single View Of The Customer Across Channels
- The Grand Unified Theory of Marketing(tm) - Digital String Theory
- Global Spending on Entertainment and Media Shifting Away From Physical Content
- #SESNY: Toward a Performance Mindset for All Advertising
- Tips for Marketers Selecting a Digital Agency
- Context Is Not King or Queen; It's Just Necessary
- 2013 New Year's Digital Marketing Resolutions
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Online Campaign Ratings and eGRPs
- Why You Should Banish the Net Promoter Score Immediately
- Digital Strategy To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to
- The Agency-Client Relationship is Forever Changed
- Targeting vs. Privacy - Who Will Win?
- Digital + Traditional = Unified Marketing
- June 2013 (60)
- May 2013 (87)
- April 2013 (70)
- March 2013 (114)
- February 2013 (89)
- January 2013 (136)
- December 2012 (96)
- November 2012 (130)
- October 2012 (147)
- September 2012 (94)
- August 2012 (92)
- July 2012 (112)
- June 2012 (71)
- May 2012 (82)
- April 2012 (80)
- March 2012 (122)
- February 2012 (114)
- January 2012 (129)
- December 2011 (60)
- November 2011 (54)
- October 2011 (29)
- September 2011 (17)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (18)
- June 2011 (19)
- May 2011 (23)
- April 2011 (23)
- March 2011 (52)
- February 2011 (69)
- January 2011 (108)
- December 2010 (82)
- November 2010 (67)
- October 2010 (68)
- September 2010 (44)
- August 2010 (101)
- July 2010 (61)
- June 2010 (28)
- May 2010 (28)
- April 2010 (26)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (21)
- January 2010 (12)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (19)
- July 2009 (34)
- June 2009 (11)
- May 2009 (4)
- April 2009 (6)
- March 2009 (13)
- February 2009 (32)
- January 2009 (25)
- December 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)