Men are increasingly more likely to spend money to look good.
Products like hair serum and exfoliating scrubs are being sold to more men than ever, reports Matthew Boyle at Bloomberg News.
Global sales of men’s toiletries, not including razors, blades and shaving creams, will be up 5% to $17.5 billion this year, Boyle writes.
Companies are using clever marketing tricks to convince men their skin requires more maintenance.
“As a L’Oreal ad once warned: ‘You think you’re aging well? She thinks you’re letting yourself go,’” Boyle writes.
And even fashion designer Tom Ford is getting in on the trend.
Ford, who is a favorite of Justin Timberlake, recently introduced a purifying mask for men.
You'd think because "The Internet" equals "music piracy," your favorite pop stars would never make any money from those millions and millions of clicks on their YouTube videos. But YouTube is fast becoming a place — certainly more so than MTV (which rarely paid artists a cent ) — where fans can…
Sent via Flipboard
Generational differences abound in grocery shopping behavior, reveals Acosta Sales & Marketing [download page] in a new report. The study indicates that younger shoppers tend to be less loyal to brands: 42% of Millennials (born between 1982 and the early 2000s) say they’re buying more store brands to save money, a figure that drops to 36% among Boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) and just 26% of Silents (born between 1925 and 1945).
Although they make the most number of routine shopping shopping trips per month (4.1 on average), Millennials have the smallest average monthly grocery spend.
At $252.60 per month, Millennials trail Silents ($263.70) and Baby Boomers ($295.50) in average monthly grocery spend, with Gen Xers (born between 1965 and 1981) spending easily the most ($323.10).
PayPal’s status as the mobile payment method of choice for the masses is beset upon all sides by many would-be usurpers. What’s the company doing to stay on top? Beefing up the feature set of its apps for iOS and Android in a big way today — adding a full-on mobile wallet, automatically-applied deals and discounts and some new ways to order stuff and pay for it.
The wallet feature lets people pay with a PayPal account, a credit or debit card, bank account or a line of Bill Me Later credit that can be applied for within the app. Like Google Wallet, the new PayPal app incorporates deals and discounts that are then automatically applied when you pay. Speaking of which, you can still send money the old-fashioned PayPal way, but the new app also integrates ordering, couponing and paying within PayPal’s merchant network. We got to see the new app in action, so join us after the break for more.
drag2share: Wall Street Is Punishing Adtech Players For Failing To Make Money (MM, VELT, MRIN, AUGT, TRMR)
If you’re looking for signs of the adtech bubble popping, then Ad Age may have found a couple for you. Three high-profile adtech companies went public in the last year and a half — Mobile ad network Millennial Media, online-ad provider Marin Software and video-ad server Tremor Video — and all have seen their stocks largely rejected by investors, even while the broader market rises.
Here’s a summary of public adtech stocks, based on their IPOs (or historic highs) and their current prices:
- Marin Software: Debuted at $16.26, now languishes at $12.
- Millennial Media: Debuted at $23.50, now at $9.67
- Tremor Video: Debuted at $8.50, now at $8.36
- Velti: Debuted at $15.58, now at $1.13
- Augme Technologies: Hit $4.90 in 2003, now at 36 cents.
You could add Groupon into the mix too. It debuted at $26.90, and is now worth only $8.90.
All these companies are chronically unprofitable. The Velti situation is most worrying — its revenues are down too and the company is in turnaround mode.
The salad options at a Woolworths supermarket in Sydney, Australia. Too many choices can trouble consumers.
Dr. Augustine Fou is Digital Consigliere to marketing executives, advising them on digital strategy and Unified Marketing(tm). Dr Fou has over 17 years of in-the-trenches, hands-on experience, which enables him to provide objective, in-depth assessments of their current marketing programs and recommendations for improving business impact and ROI using digital insights.
Collaborators – Digital Profs
- Bitcoin Developer Sells $8 Million Worth Of Hardware In 24 Hours, As Mining Technology Arms Race Goes Insane
- Netflix vs Blockbuster - Perfect example of an industry replaced by a more efficient version of itself
- Coke vs Pepsi vs Dr Pepper
- Marketing Costs Normalized to CPM Basis for Comparison
- The JKWeddingDance video was real; the viral effect was MANUFACTURED - Post 1 of 2
- WPP Will Buy Interpublic Group To Reclaim Top Spot In Ad World [THE BRIEF]
- Samsung 52 inch HDTV $9.99 at BestBuy - purchase receipt below (6:21a eastern time August 12, 2009)
- Social Media Experiment In Public Shows Anyone Can Be Like The NSA
- Evolution of il Laboratorio Digitale - Big Data Analytics Driven Digital Strategy
- Brand Advertisers: Escaping an Ecosystem of Digital Advertising Fraud
- #SESNY: Toward a Performance Mindset for All Advertising
- Tips for Marketers Selecting a Digital Agency
- Context Is Not King or Queen; It's Just Necessary
- 2013 New Year's Digital Marketing Resolutions
- The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Online Campaign Ratings and eGRPs
- Why You Should Banish the Net Promoter Score Immediately
- Digital Strategy To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to
- The Agency-Client Relationship is Forever Changed
- Targeting vs. Privacy - Who Will Win?
- December 2013 (40)
- November 2013 (111)
- October 2013 (116)
- September 2013 (214)
- August 2013 (210)
- July 2013 (200)
- June 2013 (87)
- May 2013 (87)
- April 2013 (70)
- March 2013 (114)
- February 2013 (89)
- January 2013 (136)
- December 2012 (96)
- November 2012 (130)
- October 2012 (147)
- September 2012 (94)
- August 2012 (93)
- July 2012 (112)
- June 2012 (71)
- May 2012 (82)
- April 2012 (80)
- March 2012 (122)
- February 2012 (114)
- January 2012 (129)
- December 2011 (60)
- November 2011 (54)
- October 2011 (29)
- September 2011 (17)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (18)
- June 2011 (19)
- May 2011 (23)
- April 2011 (23)
- March 2011 (52)
- February 2011 (69)
- January 2011 (108)
- December 2010 (82)
- November 2010 (67)
- October 2010 (68)
- September 2010 (44)
- August 2010 (101)
- July 2010 (61)
- June 2010 (28)
- May 2010 (28)
- April 2010 (26)
- March 2010 (33)
- February 2010 (21)
- January 2010 (12)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (19)
- July 2009 (34)
- June 2009 (11)
- May 2009 (4)
- April 2009 (6)
- March 2009 (13)
- February 2009 (32)
- January 2009 (25)
- December 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)